Date Played: August 2nd – 3rd, 2012. 6:30 pm to 11 pm. Also planning after until 1am.
In-World Date: Winter 20th, 998 (calendar)
The three heroes’ story comes to a close. Their actions have changed the fate of Vaknama, but for the better or worse, and how much?
You’re probably wondering how you faired overall. Here’s the significant impacts you had on the future of the setting. I’ll rate the impacts from minor to huge. Minor/Significant/Major/HUGE. I call them quests, but by no means did I intend for you to succeed at them all, or follow each one. I list only the ones you showed direct interest in or directly interacted with. “Success” is loosely defined by what the group wanted. The next group may hate the things Os Deren and Nikon did.
- Stopped the Leaking Ritual (Major): Ruined multiple peoples’ plans. Saved 90% of the remaining orcs. Ruka is happy, though she can’t show it.
- Destroying the Ritual (Significant): Ruined Clyde’s plans and set him back very far.
- Barthas Clan Rose to Surface (Major): A new player is on the field: a bunch of honor-hungry dwarves. A force to be reckoned with.
- The Sons of Vaknama (Significant): With a competent leader, the disenfranchised of Sarem are directing their hate at Esbern and the council, not the dwarves and orcs. This also aids the Barthas clan. Who knows what the rebelling may lead to.
- Oswell’s Duty (Minor): Oswell did what his church asked of him, and has very valuable information. Perhaps he can retire back to his family now.
- Aiding Beauty and Theln (Minor): You made a NulSeran and his woman happy.
- Nikon’s Promotion / Deren’s Honor (Minor): They aren’t dead, but they are definitely disadvantaged. It’s unlikely when/if they do return to the normal world, their goals with be the same.
- Meril, potentially a powerful ally, was wrongly accused and put to death. (Minor)
- Kill Clyde Faskeda (Huge)
- Darius continues his survival competitions (Major)
- The Assassin (Minor)
If I’m missing any, please say so.
Summary (By Jess)
Nikon opened the door, leaving the dungeon. With Oss slung around Deren’s shoulder and Nikon leading the mentally disabled Ruka. They all walked down the ramp to the grass. After bickering for 5 minutes about what they should do, they all decided to rest outside of the dungeon. Just before drifting asleep Deren had a epiphany. He remembered the stories his mother would tell him about the dark magic that used to lurk in the shadows of Vaknama. He thought this dungeon being so old that the ritual may have been powered by dark magic. Oss agreed that that was a possibility but they were just wives’ tales. Nikon wouldn’t wake up he seemed very held back about this topic. They all went back to sleep.
Deren woke up. He peeled his eyes open to see an orc, huddled over Ruka and checking her vitals. Deren decided to just act like he was still asleep and let everything work itself out. Deren was still tired though, so he accidentally yawned. The orc whipped around.
The orc approached Deren and introduced himself as cro, an orc from the northern tribe, ocean’s watch. He explained that they were having similar problems to VugDush and surrounding tribes, except they had stalled their “disease spreading machine”.
Deren walked over to checked Ruka’s vitals and was surprised to see she had no pulse and her eyes were fixated on nothing, Deren assumed the worse until Ruka moved her eyes towards him. Relieved Deren returned to his friends and his new acquaintance, cro. Cro introduced himself to Oss and Nikon. Nikon began going deep into study, Oss began praying for Rao’s gifts. Deren and cro consulted more about Cro’s tribe, cro exclaimed that the sickness wasn’t very far off and that he just came down here to see if we knew any information that could help his tribe. Os left his prayer and Nikon stopped studying. After bickering for another 5 minutes, Deren and Os decided to go in with Nikon, since they didn’t quite trust Cro yet. The journey to the secret passage wall went easy and smooth.
When Deren heard Os’ request, he thought he must surely be kidding. Then again, he didn’t know much about Os’ “gifts”, so he picked the overweight Oss up and hesitantly began grinding and pushing Oss against the stone wall. Deren felt terrible for doing this and also slightly enjoyable. Eventually Os sunk through the wall. In amazement Deren watched as the wall opened up. He walked into the crypt, unsure if he’d ever leave again.
In amazement cro said “how did you do that?!” Os explained that the switch opened up a passage in the wall. Enthusiastically cro began playing with the lever and broke the lever off. Os and Deren fruitlessly tried to fix it but it was jammed. They then left the small passage, into the room with multiple circles of the ritual. Nikon began to explain thei purposes to Cro.
Ruka sat in the corner of the room gazing at the center circle of the ritual. Os sat down next to the coat rack and began rummaging through the pockets and examining the fine material. Deren was searching the book shelf and found that there are hidden phials under the notch on the shelves. After a while of explaining, Cro told Os that he would have to see it activated to fully understand how to turn it off. Nikon told him that would be extremely dangerous and that they would need some Arcanum to jump start it, but the phials would do. So Cro began assisting Deren in finding phials on the book shelf.
Eventually Cro began insisting that he and Deren should go to other rooms to look for more phials, Deren agreed and they started venturing down the hall to the next room over which is humongous, Deren forgetting that he couldn’t see without the assistance of his magic friends. He ran back and got Os’s help by placing a gift from rao on his hand, illuminating the darkness.
Deren ran back to Cro, cro said “i think there may be one in there.” Deren was not intimidated as he walked in searching for any bookshelves, crates or large blobs.
All of the sudden everything was silent. No foot steps, no birds chirping, not even breathing. Deren whipped around to run but Cro put his finger up to his mouth and directed Deren to keep moving. Suddenly a large rock beast appeared in front of Deren. Deren turned around and signaled for Cro to sprint out the door but Cro just stood there. A large beast of pure gears and metal appeared behind Cro. Deren realized this was the same beast that struck the deal with Clyde Faskeda. Deren had a sudden moment of clarity, Cro wasn’t who he claimed to be. He didn’t accidentally break the lever. He wanted there to be no escape.
At the wave of a hand Cro made the man of gears disappear. Deren began to sprint for the door, but Cro and his stone man were not long behind. When Deren ran out to the hallway he found himself unable to beckon for help. The large stone behemoth hit Deren in the leg, crippling it and the bone was sticking out from his calf. Deren slipped into unconsciousness.
Nikon was tweaking with the fuel section of the ritual when he seen something moving in the hallway out of his peripheral vision. Assuming that it was just Deren and Cro coming back he said “How much could you find?”. They didn’t respond so Nikon turned and saw Deren getting dragged down the hall. He sprung up and said “Os! Deren’s in trouble!” Not feeling like wasting time, Nikon ran over and slung Os over his shoulder and shuffled quickly out into the hall. In the hall there was blood everywhere and some wreckage. Nikon shouted “Where is Deren?!” Cro exclaimed that Deren had been taken away by a blob. Nikon was still very skeptical, because blobs don’t leave blood or cause wreckage. It seems that Cro was holding something back.
Os slung himself around Cro’s shoulder so he could look down into the water-trap for Deren. To Os’ surprise Cro let go and Os plummeted into the water. Os slipped between the bars and fell deep into the trap. Nikon yelled at Cro, “What do you think you’re doing?!” Cro retorted in a voice completely unfamiliar and definitely not Orc “I have one of your friends drowning and the other bleeding out, if you want them saved then you must work on the ritual.” Nikon was baffled and said “who are you?” Cro responded “that’s not important, now work on the ritual.” Nikon didn’t hesitate, Cro had him under his thumb, he couldn’t do anything. He tossed crow a rope and walked back inside and began working on the machine.
Cro threw down a rope into the trap and after a seconds of Os being submerged. Os, after only minorly scraping himself as he was pulled out of the trap, said “What happened, mate? I thought you had a hold of me.” Cro went back to his Orcish tone and said “Oh sorry I dropped you, Nikon is inside working on the ritual.” “Okay I’ll just keep looking for Deren.” Os suggested.
Os began searching around for Deren or any clues of where he may be. He did a long, slow circuit around the room. At the end of his walk, he bumped into something on the ground he couldn’t see. He kneeled down and heard breathing. Os stuck his hand forward and felt something, like a person but there was no one there. Os suspiciously said “Deren, is that you?” Os then called forth the power of his deity to heal that which he couldn’t see.
Deren woke up. Os was standing next to him and the first words Deren spit out were “Cro is a traitor.” Os assumed he was delirious until Cro came over and wasn’t speaking in an average Orc’s accent. “Just calm down, if your friend works on the ritual fine we can all walk out of here like nothing happened.” Os was completely shocked and exclaimed “Why are you doing this?!” Cro explained that the ritual granted undending life, and as a secondary effect will heal any wounds a person recieves.
Deren tried to get up and pulverize Cro but he was too injured and Os wouldn’t let him. So they all walked back in the ritual room.
Ruka sat in the corner and idly watched as Cro forced Deren to get into the machine. Deren went through and came out completely healed, but completely gone mentally. Cro pointed at a wall, and Deren walked obediantly over and stood patiently.
Nikon, after threats of combat, went through and met the same fate as Deren.
When finally it was Os’ turn, he ripped out the wand they had found and aimed it at the machine and fired. Not much really happened, besides Cro’s amusement. Then Os crawled over to the ritual, while Cro was chuckling with pity. Ruka wished she could help but she was in the back of the carriage and someone else was driving. She had no control.
Os was lost in what to do. Too weak to fight Cro, and with no other other options at his disposal, he prepared himself to die. When Os reached directly outside the ritual, he was struck with an idea. He cast a spell, instantly melting into the stone beside the machine. As he sunk, he tossed his now stone backpack into the lines of the ritual, hoping that maybe he can use himself to at least destroy this vile machine. The major lines of the circles were severed with his actions.
The ground shook violently. A blinding light and fire erupted in all directions.
Pieces of the ritual and the temple itself were scattered miles around.
Os laid under a pile of what seemed to be rocks and waited to hear footsteps. Then there was a booming yell “Where the hells is he?! When I find him I will kill him!” OS decided it would be best to stay hidden for now. After laying under the rocks for a bit there was another voice, it was familiar and it said “Hello Is there anybody out there?”. Os assumed that it was just Cro trying to trick him again so he stayed where he was. After a bit he heard the sounds of spells being cast and then the galloping of horses. He decided it was safe to stand up. There was carnage all around him for as far as the eye could see. Bits of rock still raining down from the sky, he was no longer underground in the dungeon. He immediately began searching for his comerades. He found legs of a pale man and an arm of a Vacnamese man. More searching only revealed a gray-green orc hand. He had killed his friends, in destroying the machine, but in doing so, perhaps have saved them from a far worse fate.
Os decided there was nothing more to do here and thought out his escape plan. he was going to return to the The Bubbling Hearth, spend the adamantium to get his leg back and help retrieve Aaron’s, but most importantly warn his church of the possible storm of dark magic that is spreading. Finally, he’d go home to his family and tell them about his adventure with his friends Deren, Nikon and Teal’K. Os turned his back on the ruins, unsure of what the future would hold, but determined to not let his friend’s deaths be in vain.*
Somewhere, not far away, a man rode on a horse. His disguise of orc skin fading away. Beside him rode the remains of an Adrugan wizard, Vaknamese warrior, and an Orc survivor. Though their bodies were mangled and missing various pieces, their eyes were alive, and somewhere, deep inside their heads, they screamed.
Award Gem Critiques
I think everyone did really good this game. Everyone beat their average scores too!
Jess (2.5 gems)
- Acting: Thank you for making effort to remain in character. I could usually tell when you were IC, I think it was because you had a minor gruff inflection in your voice. Also when Deren was injured and felt betrayed I think I heard real emotion. Your miming when in the silent area was also nice, though I’m not sure if you were just being silly, as you too often are. I’ll give it to ya. Good 2/4. One gem.
- Depth: Deren was aggressive to Crow, despite being woefully injured, but he wasn’t dumb enough to attack without Os. On the other hand, he made no attempt to leave the circle when placed into it. Was this surrender? I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt here, considering you are showing much more depth than you have the past few games. Good. 2/4. A gem.
- Participation: You were more active this game at certain parts. At other parts, someone literally had to yell your name to pull you from texting. Adequate 1/4. Half of a gem.
Sam (3 gems)
- Acting: The accent returns, or at least it did 15 minutes into the game. Good. 2/4. A gem.
- Depth: Nikon showed a bit of grit, but decided to lay down and be a slave to Crow instead of stand up and fight. This performance seemed quite similar to Deren’s. Good. 2/4. A gem.
- Participation: Nikon was definitely leading things this game, or at least was leading where Crow pointed. He sought the opinions of his friends too, and in a reasonable time. Good 2/4. A gem.
Dave (4.5 gems) (Fixed, thanks Sam)
- Acting: A well defined voice and emotional spectrum. Os is a real boy, all right. Also you played ignorant of Crow’s intentions so well. Great. 3/4. One and a half gems.
- Depth: Os was the one person not to buckle under Crow’s orders. He sooner would die than allow this man to spread his dark magic. Fortunately, he survived his noble self sacrifice. Amazing. 4/4. 2 gems.
- Participation: Oswell did everything I thought he should have, and more. Though you has an instance or three or bringing things up OOC that are potentially damaging to IC. You did catch yourself once. Hah! Good with the bad, I’d say. . . Good 2/4. A gem.
New characters are in the works, as is a section of the story arc. Every time there is a TPK, I think I will progress the story one season, so the new date will be Spring 20th. Please text me any ideas you have about characters. I’m trying to work out a way everyone can get what they want and the story still be coherent. What I’m trying to untangle right now is. . .
Jess wants to play a paladin stationed in Sarem, holy quest type.
Dave wants to play a rogue running from his homeland, and searching for answers for his studies.
Sam wants to play a cleric. Though I’m not sure if dwarf, Vak or Nul. Also not sure if he would worship a chaos deity like Ralishaz or a more traditional deity like Moradin.
Linking these three may be a challenge.
The sooner we do, the sooner I can get a story arc planned.